What Are FHA-Approved Homes? - Redfin

What Are FHA-Approved Homes? – Redfin

Using an FHA loan to purchase a home has it’s perks, but can limit your home buying options. Find out what it means to be an FHA-approved property, and why some homes don’t qualify.

What is FHA approval?

An FHA-approved home means you can purchase the home with an FHA loan. One major benefit of using a government-backed FHA loan is the low down payment — you only need to pay 3.5% of the home’s value instead of the 5% – 20% required with a conventional loan. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) wants to make sure you invest in a home that has long-lasting potential for your enjoyment and eventual resale. As such, HUD has strict guidelines that enforce which homes you’re eligible to buy with an FHA loan. An FHA-approved home meets these guidelines.

A home that is not FHA approved can become FHA approved if updates are made. However, it may take time to get an FHA inspection, and there are no guarantees it will resolve every problem.

Reasons why a home is not FHA approved

In order for a home to be FHA-approved, it must meet certain safety, security, and soundness requirements. FHA inspections have higher habitability standards than typical home inspections, and the guidelines for qualification are regularly updated. Although it has become easier over the years for a home to be FHA-approved, there are still several conditions that can disqualify a home:

• Windows and doors are cracked or off their hinges
  • Handrails and stairs are broken or missing
  • The roof is leaky, has more than three layers, or will not last much longer
  • Close proximity to a hazardous waste site, oil and gas well, or petroleum line
  • Close proximity to a transmission tower or high-voltage power lines
  • Close proximity to heavy traffic, an airport, or other noisy areas
  • Lead-based paint in the house
  • There is evidence of mold, decay, or termites
  • Construction is defective or of poor quality
  • The heating system is outdated, unsafe, or unable to heat all living spaces
  • Not all of the plumbing works, or there are leaks
  • Limited access to reliably warm water, or drinking water
  • Inadequate all-weather pedestrian or vehicular driveway
  • No access to front door or rear yard without passing through separate living space
  • Not enough space between neighboring homes
  • Crawl space is too small, inaccessible, or filled with debris
  • Unfinished or warped floors and carpet
  • Not all bathrooms include a toilet, sink, and shower
  • Tripping hazards in or outside of the home
  • Electrical box has exposed wires

How do you find homes that are FHA approved?

The best way to search for a FHA-approved home is on Redfin. For help finding homes that are FHA-approved, contact a local Redfin Agent.

Read about:   A Closer Look at VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loans (IRRRL)

9 thoughts on “What Are FHA-Approved Homes? – Redfin

1. Hairstyles Vip says:

Thanks for the thoughts you discuss through this blog. In addition, several young women which become pregnant tend not to even try and get health care insurance because they have anxiety they won’t qualify. Although many states currently require that insurers produce coverage despite the pre-existing conditions. Rates on these types of guaranteed plans are usually greater, but when considering the high cost of medical treatment it may be your safer approach to take to protect the financial potential.

2. Fashion Styles says:

I just couldn’t depart your site before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information a person provide for your visitors? Is going to be back often to check up on new posts

3. Hairstyles says:

wonderful publish, very informative. I wonder why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t notice this. You should proceed your writing. I’m confident, you have a great readers’ base already!

4. I Fashion Styles says:

Today, with all the fast way of life that everyone is having, credit cards have a big demand in the economy. Persons throughout every area are using credit card and people who aren’t using the card have arranged to apply for even one. Thanks for sharing your ideas in credit cards.

5. I Fashion Styles says:

One more important aspect is that if you are a senior citizen, travel insurance regarding pensioners is something you must really consider. The more aged you are, a lot more at risk you might be for making something awful happen to you while overseas. If you are not really covered by a few comprehensive insurance policies, you could have quite a few serious troubles. Thanks for sharing your hints on this blog site.

6. Hairstyles says:

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

7. Beauty Fashion says:

Thanks for your helpful post. As time passes, I have been able to understand that the actual symptoms of mesothelioma cancer are caused by the actual build up connected fluid regarding the lining of the lung and the chest muscles cavity. The illness may start in the chest place and spread to other body parts. Other symptoms of pleural mesothelioma cancer include fat reduction, severe deep breathing trouble, throwing up, difficulty swallowing, and bloating of the neck and face areas. It must be noted that some people with the disease will not experience any kind of serious signs at all.

8. Hairstyles Men says:

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on a variety of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be really appreciated!

9. My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on a variety of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!