As mentioned in our prior alert, The CARES Act and associated alleviation for the multifamily business: Half I, the lately enacted Coronavirus Assist, Aid and Financial Safety Act (the CARES Act) established a alleviation program for multifamily debtors. This program advantages, inter alia, debtors beneath loans made by the Federal Nationwide Mortgage Affiliation (Fannie Mae) and the Federal House Mortgage Mortgage Company (Freddie Mac).
We beforehand mentioned the Fannie Mae forbearance program right here. This alert, Half III on this ongoing collection, focuses on particular options of the mortgage forbearance program applied by Freddie Mac with respect to multifamily debtors impacted by the coronavirus illness 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
We notice that each Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac started rolling out their forbearance packages for multifamily debtors previous to enactment of the CARES Act and have been updating such packages on an ongoing foundation. Accordingly, additional steering and updates from Freddie Mac could also be forthcoming. Readers are suggested to contact their DLA Piper relationship attorneys for the newest developments and steering.
Under is a short abstract of the forbearance program for multifamily debtors as at present provided by Freddie Mac.
1. The best way to apply:
- A borrower should initially contact its servicer and ship a letter requesting forbearance in reference to the impression of the COVID-19 pandemic (a hardship request). Be aware that the final day to enter forbearance is the tip of the federally declared emergency interval or December 31, 2020, whichever happens first.
- The loan should not be delinquent as of February 1, 2020.
- The lender should approve the request.
- The borrower should execute Freddie Mac’s type of forbearance settlement, which kind is non-negotiable.
2. Aid: Freddie Mac is offering forbearance of as much as 90 days. Such forbearance is topic to the phrases and situations of Freddie Mac’s type of forbearance settlement. The borrower might terminate the forbearance at any time on 5 enterprise days’ electronic mail discover to its servicer.
3. Compensation schedule:
- The forbearance quantity have to be repaid in not more than 12 equal month-to-month installments with the primary month-to-month installment due after the expiration of the forbearance interval (paid concurrently every frequently scheduled month-to-month installment). Such quantity will not be topic to extra curiosity or prepayment premiums.
- The forbearance quantity won’t change the amortization schedule of the loan. If the loan matures previous to the complete settlement of the forbearance quantity, the excellent forbearance quantity may even be due at maturity.
- If the borrower fails to make well timed settlement of the forbearance quantity, the settlement to forbear will robotically terminate on the fifth enterprise day following such default, the remaining unpaid forbearance quantity might be instantly due and payable (and start to accrue late fees and default curiosity as of the date of termination) and the loan could also be referred to particular servicing.
- The borrower might repay the forbearance quantity in full at any time previous to the expiration of the 12-month compensation interval.
4. Restrictions on eviction: By executing the type of Freddie Mac forbearance settlement, the borrower agrees to not evict, give discover of or begin an eviction of any tenant through the interval of forbearance (ie, the interval wherein the forbearance is efficient) based mostly solely on non-payment of lease, or cost tenant late charges, penalties or different fees associated to non-payment of lease. Be aware that the usage of “tenant” by the Freddie Mac kind forbearance settlement doesn’t distinguish between business and residential tenants.
5. Different notable situations:
- The borrower is required to supply written updates to the relevant servicer with respect to materials adjustments to or impacts upon the property operations because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- If native taxing authorities provide actual property tax alleviation, the borrower should advise the relevant servicer of the phrases and situations previous to accepting such alleviation.
- The borrower (and guarantor, if relevant) are required to launch the lender and servicer from all claims regarding the forbearance settlement (together with the restriction on eviction of tenants through the forbearance interval).
Just like the Fannie Mae forbearance program, the Freddie Mac forbearance program gives alleviation to distressed multifamily debtors and thru such program Freddie Mac is additional attempting to supply help to renters. At this time limit, the Freddie Mac forbearance program doesn’t comprise a restriction on property revenues or payback requirement based mostly upon receipt of insurance coverage proceeds, nevertheless because the COVID-19 pandemic (and financial impact) evolve, Freddie Mac might additional replace its program. Regardless, multifamily debtors are urged to think about any determination (and timing of the choice) fastidiously and to seek the advice of their authorized advisors and accountants earlier than performing.
When you’ve got any questions relating to these new necessities and their implications, please contact any member of DLA Piper’s Actual Property group or your DLA Piper relationship lawyer.
Please go to our Coronavirus Useful resource Heart and subscribe to our mailing record to obtain alerts, webinar invites and different publications that can assist you navigate this difficult time.
This info doesn’t, and isn’t meant to, represent authorized recommendation. All info, content material, and supplies are for common informational functions solely. No reader ought to act, or chorus from performing, with respect to any explicit authorized matter on the idea of this info with out first searching for authorized recommendation from counsel within the related jurisdiction.
 See CARES Act, Part 4023.
 This alert will give attention to Freddie Mac’s kind “Forbearance Settlement – Securitized Loans” (revised 4-9-20).
 Be aware that the CARES Act states that such request could also be made orally or in writing. Debtors are urged to evaluation their loan paperwork fastidiously and will want to fastidiously craft any such request, particularly if made in writing, in order to not represent an admission in writing by a borrower that it’s unable to pay its money owed the place such an admission might have unintended penalties (i.e., triggering an occasion of default and even carve-out legal responsibility).
 Debtors might wish to contemplate the timing of their request in relation to the size of this system and in addition might wish to contemplate delays that will happen given the variety of requests a servicer could also be processing.
 See CARES Act, Part 4023(b).
 Provided that forbearance alleviation is permitted beneath the CARES Act, it isn’t but clear how a lot discretion could also be exercised in reviewing requests for forbearance.
 “Freddie Mac Broadcasts Nationwide COVID-19 Aid Plan Affecting Greater than 4 Million Multifamily Condominium Renters.” March 24, 2020. https://freddiemac.gcs-web.com/news-releases/news-release-details/freddie-mac-announces-nationwide-covid-19-relief-plan-affecting?_ga=2.227667035.792754899.1588165198-1027974793.1542979156&_gac=1.137496836.1588165198.EAIaIQobChMI4uO8sNiN6QIVZAiICR1iPwB7EAAYASAAEgJgzPD_BwE&_gl=1*1lpjdhz*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE1ODgxNjUxOTguRUFJYUlRb2JDaE1JNHVPOHNOaU42UUlWWkFpSUNSMWlQd0I3RUFBWUFTQUFFZ0pnelBEX0J3RQ.
 Relying upon the timing of the interval of forbearance, this era might or will not be concurrent with the 120 day restriction on evictions (commencing March 21, 2020) supplied beneath Part 4024 of the CARES Act.
 In keeping with the CARES Act, Freddie Mac is now not requiring that tenants proof that their nonpayment is because of a COVID-19 pandemic associated hardship.