Tax Loophole Found for Home Equity Loan Interest

Tax Loophole Found for Home Equity Loan Interest

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 introduced a slew of new tax breaks while doing away with others, one of which affects tax benefits for home equity loan interest. Much of that deduction was effectively eliminated, at least through the end of 2025. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), however, has allowed for a loophole in the tax law that would permit some homeowners to continue benefiting from the home equity loan interest deduction.

Several other tax changes directly affected taxpayers who own a home or plan to purchase one, including a reduction of the limit on deductible mortgage debt to $750,000 for loans taken out after Dec. 14, 2017. The previous limit was $1 million. In addition, going forward there’s a cap of $10,000 on itemized deductions for state and local taxes (SALT), including property taxes.

Key Takeaways

• Despite the provisions of the Tax Cut and Jobs Act, the IRS in a 2018 advisory stated that home equity loan interest is still deductible, as is interest on HELOCs and second mortgages.
  • To qualify for the deduction, the loan money must be for an IRS-approved use: namely, to “buy, build, or substantially improve the taxpayer’s home.”
  • The money cannot be used to pay off personal debts or other expenses.
  • The deduction is not unlimited; the total amount of mortgage-related debt interest that can be deducted beginning in 2018 is $750,000.

New Rules for Deducting Home Equity Loan Interest

In February 2018 the IRS issued an advisory for taxpayers regarding the status of the home equity loan interest deduction. The advisory specified that interest on home equity loans, home equity lines of credit (HELOCs), and second mortgages is still deductible, regardless of how the loan is labeled, as long as the loan is for an IRS-approved use. Specifically, home equity loans, HELOCs, and second mortgages must be used to “buy, build, or substantially improve the taxpayer’s home that secures the loan” for interest to be deductible.

Read about:   Qualifying for a Dwelling Mortgage as a First-Time Homebuyer in 2021

While the IRS didn’t include a list of expenses that would be covered under the law’s provisions, the advisory did include some examples of allowable home-improvement expenses, such as building an addition to expand your home. Other purposes that qualify for the deduction if you’re using a home equity loan or HELOC are:

• Putting a new roof on the property
  • Replacing your HVAC system
  • Completing an extensive kitchen or bathroom remodeling project
  • Resurfacing your driveway

Impact of the New Home Equity Loan Rules

The preservation of the deduction for eligible taxpayers is good news for homeowners. An Oct. 2017 TransUnion report estimated that more than two-thirds of homeowners could be eligible for a HELOC, and HELOC originations are expected to reach up to 11 million by 2022. The report also estimated that the number of consumers who open a HELOC by 2022 will be more than double the rate of those who did so between 2012 and 2016. Keeping the home equity loan deduction—even in limited form—may also have positive implications in encouraging homeownership.

Other provisions of the tax bill could have the opposite effect. In addition to the severe cut in the state and local taxes deduction, the standard deduction has almost doubled, to $12,000 for single filers and $24,000 for married couples filing a joint return. According to a 2017 report from the National Association of Realtors, the higher standard deduction was expected to shrink the number of taxpayers who’d find it advantageous to claim mortgage interest and property tax deductions by itemizing. And, indeed, according to a report in the New York Times based on IRS statistics, 21% of taxpayers claimed the mortgage interest deduction for tax year 2017, but only 8% did so for tax year 2018. This means there was no tax differential between renting and owning for more than 90% of taxpayers.

Read about:   CHFA Loans | Colorado Home Buyer Grants

Still, retaining the home equity loan deduction may be viewed as an added incentive to buy instead of rent.

The amount of taxpayers who took the mortgage interest deduction in tax year 2018.

Best Practices for Claiming the Home Equity Interest Deduction

If you own a home and are planning to claim the home equity loan interest deduction, there are a few things to remember. First, the money must be used for home improvements or renovations. You can’t take the deduction if you’re using home equity to pay for personal expenses or consolidate credit card debts. The same goes if you’re taking out a loan and letting the money sit in the bank as your just-in-case fund for emergencies.

What’s more, the renovations have to be made on the property on which you are taking out the home equity loan. You can’t, for example, take out a loan on your primary residence and use the money to renovate your cottage at the lake.

Next, keep proper records of your expenses. The odds of being audited by the IRS are generally low, but you don’t want to take any chances. If you’re planning to use a home equity loan or HELOC to pay for home repairs or upgrades, be sure to keep receipts for everything you spend and bank statements showing where the money went.

Finally, remember that the deduction is not unlimited. The total amount of mortgage-related debt interest that can be deducted is $750,000. If you have a large amount of equity and a large first mortgage loan, you may not be able to deduct all the combined interest paid. As interest on older mortgages is grandfathered to $1 million loans, check carefully with your accountant about what you can deduct if you have both an older mortgage and a home equity loan that qualifies for deductions.

Read about:   Home Equity Loan: FAQ

The Bottom Line

A home equity loan or HELOC can be a convenient source of funding when you want to spruce up your home. Snagging a tax deduction for the interest you pay is an added perk. As with any other loan, however, take the time to compare interest rates and loan terms from different lenders to find the best deal possible.

18 thoughts on “Tax Loophole Found for Home Equity Loan Interest

1. Very good written article. It will be helpful to anybody who employess it, as well as yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing – for sure i will check out more posts.

2. I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

3. Hairstyles Vip says:

Heya are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

4. Hairstyles Vip says:

Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

5. Fashion Beauty says:

Many thanks to you for sharing these kinds of wonderful blogposts. In addition, an excellent travel and also medical insurance strategy can often eradicate those issues that come with travelling abroad. A new medical emergency can before long become too expensive and that’s likely to quickly place a financial burden on the family’s finances. Setting up in place the suitable travel insurance bundle prior to leaving is well worth the time and effort. Thanks a lot

6. Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

7. I Fashion Styles says:

This design is spectacular! You certainly know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

8. Fashion Styles says:

I抦 not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this information for my mission.

9. Beauty Fashion says:

Yet another issue is really that video gaming became one of the all-time greatest forms of fun for people of nearly every age. Kids enjoy video games, plus adults do, too. The particular XBox 360 has become the favorite games systems for individuals that love to have a lot of activities available to them, as well as who like to learn live with others all over the world. Thank you for sharing your thinking.

10. Thanks for the suggestions you have shared here. Additionally, I believe there are some factors that will keep your car insurance premium decrease. One is, to take into consideration buying automobiles that are from the good directory of car insurance providers. Cars that happen to be expensive will be more at risk of being stolen. Aside from that insurance coverage is also using the value of your truck, so the more costly it is, then the higher this premium you spend.

11. I Fashion Styles says:

What I have usually told folks is that while searching for a good internet electronics shop, there are a few aspects that you have to take into account. First and foremost, you should make sure to locate a reputable plus reliable store that has got great assessments and classification from other consumers and business sector people. This will make certain you are dealing with a well-known store that can offer good support and help to the patrons. Thanks for sharing your notions on this site.

12. Fashion Styles says:

I will immediately seize your rss as I can’t find your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly allow me realize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

13. Fashion Styles says:

wonderful issues altogether, you just won a new reader. What could you suggest about your put up that you simply made some days in the past? Any positive?

14. Beauty Fashion says:

I have learned some new things from a blog post. One more thing to I have found is that in most cases, FSBO sellers may reject an individual. Remember, they might prefer not to ever use your solutions. But if you maintain a reliable, professional connection, offering support and staying in contact for four to five weeks, you will usually have the ability to win interviews. From there, a listing follows. Cheers

15. This is the right blog for anyone who needs to seek out out about this topic. You understand a lot its almost exhausting to argue with you (not that I actually would want匟aHa). You positively put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, simply great!

16. Beauty Fashion says:

It’s my belief that mesothelioma is most fatal cancer. It contains unusual characteristics. The more I really look at it a lot more I am certain it does not work like a true solid flesh cancer. In the event that mesothelioma is a rogue virus-like infection, hence there is the potential for developing a vaccine and offering vaccination to asbestos subjected people who are really at high risk connected with developing upcoming asbestos linked malignancies. Thanks for discussing your ideas for this important ailment.

17. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I抣l be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

18. I Fashion Styles says:

Thanks – Enjoyed this update, how can I make is so that I receive an email every time you make a new article?