There are 5 main categories of shop over which a flat can be situated and we have access to specialist lenders who will lend on each of these categories:
If you are looking to purchase this type of property then we have listed a few points for you to consider:
- Conveniently located in the heart of cities / towns / villages for good access to local amenities and public transport
- Flats of this nature are located in areas which are unavailable to people living in conventional homes / flats
- This type of living can be 10-20% cheaper than buying a similar sized flat in a purpose built residential block
- Flat over shop living is evidenced within Birminghams Jewellery Quarter and in other cities such as Manchester and London where it is becoming more accepted and popular in todays society. It has been suggested that flats of this nature may attract premium prices in the future due to increased public demand combined with locality.
- There is the potential of living above or near antisocial premises where there are smells, noise or late night opening
- The commercial premises beneath the flat may become derelict and reduce the value of the property / affecting salability
- The usage of the commercial premises beneath may change i.e. from a book shop to a fast food takeaway. It is advisable you check with the local council / your solicitor to see if there is a proposed change of use permitted / planned.
- Resaleability may be restricted as in certain areas flats of this nature tend to be less desirable and slower to sell than standard purpose built flats.
- Insurance premiums are likely to be higher, especially for flats located above restaurants / takeaway outlets, due to fire hazards
For further information please contact us on
FREEPHONE 0800 587 4229, request a call back,
email, or complete an online enquiry form
The overall cost for comparison is 3.7% APR
The actual rate available depends upon your circumstances.
Ask for a personalised illustration. APR variable and based on a typical case
A FEE MAY BE CHARGED – AN AVERAGE FEE WOULD BE 2.6%